Seven common air conditioning repair scam
1. The refrigerant needs to be rechargedThe most common scan that a dishonest AC repair technician can do is telling about the refrigerant recharge. He can force you to recharge the refrigerant of your AC unit unnecessarily. The process might cost you extra bucks, and you might quickly get trapped in their scam.
2. We have an unbelievable deal for youRemember, nothing in this world comes for free, and when someone offers something unbelievable, that means something is fishy. Never get into such deals and offers which seem next to impossible. Remember repairing an AC unit needs skill and time, and you need to pay a fair amount of money for that.
3. You need to change AC parts- It’s damagedA new technique to scam you is by telling you that it’s damaged. While you have called a technician to maintain a healthy AC unit, he suddenly gets aware of the unit’s damaged part. It is usual for you not to understand the mechanism of the company and its functions. You can quickly nod your head to change the part as you don’t want to take a chance with your AC during hot summer days.
4. We accept only cashIt could be an actual red flag for domestic AC users. Technicians who accept only cash may not do the required service properly and may not respond to pertaining issues once the service is over. When you contact AC repair centres near you, take note of this point to avoid an unnecessary headache.
5. This old unit is consuming electricityOne of the most tricky ways to scam you is to say that the AC unit is too old and hence consuming heavy electricity, and it’s a good idea to change it. Don’t get fooled by such claims; do a thorough health check of your AC unit by a reputed AC servicing company in Australia.
6. Buy electronic products from us, and we will provide you with free serviceYour AC might need the support of an inverter or electricity stabilizer to function correctly. An unethical AC technician can be too pushy to sell his products when he visits your place for AC repairs. He might convince you to buy electronics products from them, and they will give you free service in return.
7. Your last AC repair technician has ruined your unitDo you often hear that from your technician? Well, most of the time, dishonest technicians will claim that their service is the best and the last AC repair technician has ruined your unit. Another way to say that “call me every time you need an AC repair service” or “change the parts of your existing unit” unnecessarily or “you should change the whole unit.”
What should you do to avoid such scams?
- Always rely on reputed and established AC company services.
- Always seek a second opinion before making huge investments.
- Ask for a cause for any reported damage.